- 8 slices white or whole wheat bread
- 1 [8-ounce / 227-g] canned meat [corned beef, beef or pork meat loaf], sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ounces [57 g] alfalfa sprouts or soy proteins
- 2 or 3 ounces [57 to 85 g] Leicester or Cheshire cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 teaspoons [40 mL] mayonnaise or sour cream
- Meats: cold turkey or chicken, ham or roast beef.
- Vegetables: watercress, cucumber, onion slices, green onions, radishes, green or red pepper strips.
- Spreads: butter or margarine, English or Dijon mustard, catsup, brown sauce, cranberry sauce, chutney or relish.
- Cheeses: hard paste cheese [Edam, Gouda or Gruyère] or soft paste cheese [Camembert, Dolcelatte or Brie].
- Toast slices of bread.
- Garnish 4 toasts with 4 slices of meat each.
- Garnish with tomato slices, alfalfa sprouts or soy proteins; top with cheese slices.
- Arrange open-face sandwiches over paper towelling, onto a plate and microwave for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Spread remaining 4 toasts with mayonnaise or sour cream.
- Use to top hot open-face sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
- Quite a few assorted sandwiches can be made using this method, granished with any desired ingredients.