- 2 cups [400 g] sugar
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 3 bunches fresh mint leaves, stems on
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] fresh lemon juice
- Into a 2 1/2-quart souffle dish, stir together sugar, water and fresh mint leaves.
- Microwave uncovered on 'HIGH' for 3 minutes.
- Stir thoroughly, making sure there are no grains on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with a lid or microwave plastic wrap.
- If using, prick plastic wrap to release steam.
- Microwave for 6 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, uncover and leave to cool.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Refrigerate until cold, several hours or overnight.
- Whisk fresh lemon juice into syrup.
- Transfer into an ice-cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Spoon into a covered container.
- Transfer into a freezer until hardened.
- Keep frozen until ready to serve.