- 4 pounds [1.8 kg] ground elk or venison
- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] ground anise
- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] mustard seed
- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] hickory smoked salt
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] curing salt
- Mix together ground meat and all seasonings.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, mixing meat every 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 225°F [110°C].
- Divide seasoned meat into 4 parts.
- Roll each part into a log; arrrange onto the rack of a roasting pan to collect excess fat drippings.
- Roast into preheated oven for 4 hours.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.