- 1/4 cup [60 mL] pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup [250 mL] water
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] virgin olive oil
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup [60 g] coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Roast pine nuts under preheated broiler watching carefully until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Into a small saucepan, boil garlic in water for 10 minutes; drain.
- Into a large salad bowl, mash together drained garlic and salt into a paste.
- Whisk in Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar.
- Slowly pour in olive oil, into a thin stream, whisking until oil is emulsified.
- Add Romaine pieces; toss well and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle salad with shredded Parmesan cheese and reserved golden pine nuts, and serve.