- 1/2 cup [125 mL] slivered almonds
- 12 ounces [340 g] semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] sugar
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 3 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 2 cups [500 mL] whipping cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] vanilla extract
- 1 [8-ounce / 227-g] angel food cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F [180°C].
- Arrange almonds onto an ungreased cookie sheet; roast into preheated oven until golden brown.
- Watch carefully so almonds do not burn!
- Set aside to cool; reserve roasted slivered almonds until ready to serve.
- Into the top part of a double boiler, over hot yet not boiling water, melt together chocolate chips and sugar.
- Leave to cool completely, before mix in beaten egg yolks.
- Slowly fold in stffly beaten egg whites.
- Fold in whipped cream and vanilla.
- Tear up angel food cake into 1/2-inch [1.3-cm] pieces.
- Arrange half of cake pieces over the bottom of a buttered 10-inch [25-cm] springform pan.
- Cover with half of chocolate mixture.
- Layer remaining cake pieces and chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Remove springform rim.
- Serve,garnished with roasted slivered almonds.