- 4 mallard ducks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Poultry seasoning
- 4 red apples, chopped into large pieces
- 4 oranges, chopped into large pieces
- 4 medium onions, chopped into large pieces
- 2 oranges, halved
- 2 ounces [60 mL] Cognac
- Preheat oven to 500°F [260°C].
- Rinse then pat dry ducks.
- Sprinkle cavities liberally with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Toss together apples, oranges and onions and fill the cavities tightly so ducks appear to enlarge in size.
- Use 1 orange half to close opening on each duck.
- Place on rack in roasting pan and pour Cognac over ducks.
- Sprinkle with poultry seasoning.
- Roast ducks into preheated oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F [180°C], turn ducks on their backs and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes longer.