- 1 [4 to 6-pound / 1.8 to 2.7-kg] goose
- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] salt
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] dried basil
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] honey
- 1/2 cup [115 g] butter
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] dry mustard
- 2 oranges, peeled then quartered
- Preheat oven to 375°F [190°C].
- Rinse then leave goose to soak ovenight covered with salted water, refrigerated.
- Pat dry and transfer goose inro a roasting pan.
- Mix together salt, ginger, basil and pepper.
- Rub mixture inside cavity and all over the skin of the goose.
- Into the top part of a double boiler, mix together honey, butter, grated orange rind, orange juice, lemon juice and dry mustard.
- Cook until mixture becomes like syrup watching carefully as mixture should not caramelize.
- Coat goose body with 3 tablespoons [45 mL] of this syrup.
- Place orange quarters in cavity.
- Pour 1/4 cup [60 mL] syrup over orange quarters.
- Truss goose.
- Pour remaining syrup all over the goose.
- Cover roasting pan with foil.
- Roast goose into preheated oven, basting goose 4 to 6 times with pan juices.
- Roast goose for 2 hours, remove foil, lower oven to 325°F [160°C], and roast goose for 30 minutes more.