- 8 to 10 small quails
2 or 3 large pheasants or grouse game birds
a combination of both
- 7 cups [1.75 L] water
- 3 cubes chicken broth concentrate
- 10 celery leaves
- 4 carrots, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into thick rings
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound [227 g] mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped celery
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter
- 1 tablespoon [7.5 g] all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] dried basil
- Dash of nutmeg
- 10 ounces [284 g] frozen tiny peas, thawed
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 [9-inch / 23-cm] deep pie shell + 1 [9-inch / 23-cm] regular pie shell
- Into a large kettle, combine birds, water, chicken broth concentrate cubes, celery leaves, carrot halves, onion rigns and minced garlic; sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer until tender, for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove and leave birds to cool; discard broth and vegetables.
- Cut cooled meat from bones, cube and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F [220°C].
- Melt 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter into a small skillet; cook mushrooms pieces until tender.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter into a large skillet; soften together chopped celery and green onions.
- Stir in flour, then pour in chicken broth, stirring until smooth.
- Thouroughly stir in Worcestershire sauce, basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Well mix in reserved bird cubes, mushroom pieces and thawed peas.
- Line a 9-inch [23-cm] deep pie plate with deep pastry shell.
- Pour in filling mixture.
- Top with remaining pastry shell; seal and flute edges.
- Brush dough with milk.
- Bake into preheated for 35 to 40 minutes.