Fruited Wild Rice Stufing
- 4 Cornish game hens, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter, melted
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 1 cube chicken broth concentrate
- 1 cup [250 mL] wild rice
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] seeded green grape sliced
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] chopped red apple, cored and if desired peeled
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] freshly grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] dired basil
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup [150 g] sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] cornstarch
- 2 cups [500 mL] apricot nectar
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly squeezed lemon juice
Fruited Wild Rice Stuffing
- Prepare fruited wild rice stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 350°F [180°C].
- Rinse then pat dry hens.
- Fill cavities with wild rice mixture; close using wooden picks.
- Rub skins with melted butter.
- Roast hens into preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Towards the end of roasting time, prepare apricot glaze.
- Roast hens for 20 minutes longer, basting hens several times with apricot glaze.
- Bring water to a boil into a large saucepan.
- Add chicken broth concentrate cube; stir until dissolved.
- Add wild rice and bring back to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover saucepan and leave to simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat; drain.
- Into a large mixing bowl, mix together drained wild rice, green grape slices, choped apple and pecans, grated orange rind, chopped water chestnuts, basil and thyme.
- Salt and peper to taste.
- Stir together all ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until mixture turns clear and thickens.