- 1 whole [4-pound / 1.8-kg] chicken
- 1 1/4 cups [310 mL] ketchup
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] chili powder or paste
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] red wine vinegar
- 6 Kaiser rolls
- Place whole chicken into a large casserole; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil then leave chicken to simmer until cooked, for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from caserole; leave to cool then shred meat from bones.
- Inro a large saucepan, combine ketchup, water, onion, salt, celery seeds, chili powder or paste, brown sugar, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Bring to a boil and leave chicken meat to simmer in sauce for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve warm in Kaiser rolls.