- 1 pound [454 g] fresh white asparagus spears, peeled
- 3 tablespoons [45 g ] butter
- 2 French shallots, chopped
- 2 cups [500 mL] vegetable broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] chicken broth
- 1 cup [250 mL] 35% cooking cream
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] white truffle oil [optional]
- 1 pound [454 g] flaky pastry dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F [220°C].
- Reserving 2 whole asparagus spears, cut remaining asparagus spears into short pieces.
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Soften chopped French shallots over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus, pieces and whole; soften stirring for 2 minutes.
- Set whole asparagus spears aside; reserve.
- Pour vegetable broth and chicken broth into casserole.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Remove casserole from heat; pour mixture into the bowl of a food processor.
- Puree until really smooth.
- Salt, pepper, pour in cream and, if desired, white truffle oil; mix.
- Laddle soup into 4 individual oven-safe bowls.
- Arrange bowls onto a baking sheet.
- Roll flaky pastry dough.
- Cut in 4 rounds, a little large than the opening of the bowls.
- Top bowls with dough sealing the edges all around the top of each bowl using a little of the beaten egg.
- Using a small knife, cut a slit in the middle of dough of each bowl.
- Brush dough with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake soups into preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, until dough is golden and swollen.
- Remove baking sheet from oven.
- Cut reserved asparagus spears into short pieces; use to nicely decorate the middle of dough on top of each bowl.
- Serve immediately.