- 1 pound [454 g] fresh white asparagus spears, peeled
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 2 French shallots, chopped
- 2 cups [500 mL] vegetable broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] chicken broth
- 1 cup [250 mL] 35% cooking cream
- 1 teaspoon [5 m] white truffle oil [optional]
- 1 pound [454 g] puff pastry dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F [220°C].
- Reserving 2 asparagus spears whole, cut remaining into short pieces.
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Soften chopped French shallots over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus spears and pieces; soften for 2 more minutes.
- Reserve wholea asparagus spears to garnishh.
- Pour in vegetable broth and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Remove casserole from heat; pour mixture into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Salt and pepper before pouring in cream and white truffle oil; stir until blended.
- Pour soup into 4 individual oven-safe bowls.
- Arrange bowls onto a baking sheet.
- Roll puff pastry dough.
- Cut in 4 circles, each a little large than the opening of the bols.
- Cover each bowl with pastry dough; stick dough all around each bowl using a little of the beaten egg.
- Using a small knife to cut a small incision in the middle of each circle of dough.
- Brush dough with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake soups into preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, to brown and puff dough.
- Remove baking sheet from oven.
- Half reserved asparagus spears horizontally; use to garnish the middle of dough on each bowl.
- Serve immediately.