- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] vegetable oil
- 16 really small raw lean ground beef balls
- 2 carrots, peeled then diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel, minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups [1.5 L] beef broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 4 ounces [113 g] orzo
- 4 ounces [113 g] frozen small peas
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] freshly ground black pepper
- Heat half of vegetable oil into a large frypan.
- Lightly brown ground beef balls on all sides, for approximately 8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meatballs onto a plate.
- Heat remaining oil into a large casserole.
- Brown together carrot dices, chopped onion, minced fennel and chopped garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Pour in beef broth and water.
- Bring to a boil; cover and leave to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add orzo, frozen small peas, browned meatballs and lemon juice.
- Salt, pepper, cover and leave to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Laddle soup into warm soup bowls, and serve.