- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound [454 g] lean ground beef
- 1 hot pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled then diced
- 2 medium zucchinis, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] caraway
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 6 cups [1.5 L] beef broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] tomato coulis
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons [30 mL] of the oil into a large casserole.
- Fry onion dices over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining oil, then ground beef; fry for 7 minutes breaking-up the meat into large chunks [do not crumble].
- Add chopped hot pepper, sweet potato dices and zucchini cubes.
- Sprinkle all over with minced garlic, caraway and cinnamon.
- Salt, pepper aand fry over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour in beef broth ad tomato coulis.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 25 minutes.
- Laddle into shallow soup plates.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, and serve.