- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 French shallots, chopped
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped celery
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped leek
- 4 cups [1 L] freshly cut from cob corn kernels
- 2 quarts [2 L] chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] white pepper
- 1 cup [250 mL] whipping cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] Bourbon
- Chopped chives, to decorate
- Cook bacon slices into a large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Add chopped onion, French shallots, celery and leek; cook over medium heat stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in chicken broth; add potato cubes, salt and white pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat and leave to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until potato is tender.
- Stir in cream; cook for 2 minutes more, without boiling.
- Remove and discard bacon slices.
- Spoon half of mixture in the container of an electric blender; process until smooth.
- Pour through a strainer into Dutch oven, pressing pulp with the back of spoon; discard pulp.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Stir in Bourbon.
- Serve hot or cold, each serving garnished with chopped chives.