- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] dried whole yellow peas
- Cold water, to soak
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 1/4 pound [113 g] salt pork dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped celery
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped onion
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] rutabaga dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] carrot dices
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] salted herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Leave dried whole yellow peas to soak in enough cold water to cover overnight.
- Drain then transfer peas into a large heavy casserole.
- Pour in 8 cups [2 L] water.
- Mix in salt pork dices, chopped celery and onion, rutabaga and carrot dices, freshly chopped parsley and salted herbs.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and leave to simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- Salt and pepper before serving.