- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- Salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 to 2 ounces [30 to 60 g] Triple-Cream Brie or other Brie type cheese
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Freshly chopped chives or parsley, to decorate
- Melt butter into a large heavy saucepan.
- Just soften together, yet do not brown, chopped leek, celery and onion.
- Sprinkle vegetables with flour.
- Cook, stirring to well mix in the flour, for several minutes.
- Stir in milk; cook stirring over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Use a blender or a food processor to puree mixture until smooth.
- Return to saucepan.
- Season to taste with salt, white pepper, thyme and nutmeg.
- Heat until flavors blend.
- Soup can now be refrigerated for up to 24 hours; reheat before serving.
- Slice cheese into 4 slices; arrange one slice into each of 4 warm soup bowls.
- Laddle hot soup into soup bowls.
- Garnish each serving with a dollop wor whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives or parsley, and serve.