- 12 ounces [340 g] dried navy beans
- 5/8 cup [140 g] butter
- 1/2 cup [70 g] flour
- 5 cups [1.25 L] hen broth
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] hen consomme
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] gray pepper
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] warm water
- 1 cup [250 mL] light cream
half heavy whipping [35%] cream and half milk
- Leave navy beans to soak overnight in cold water; drain, boil, drain once more then puree until smooth.
- Over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup [60 g] of the butter into a large casserole.
- Remove from heat before stirring in flour to get a thick paste.
- Slowly stir in hen broth until smooth.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, until thick and smooth.
- Stir in hen consomme, then navy bean puree.
- Salt, pepper and then cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in cream and remaining butter.
- Using a fork, slightly beat egg yolks into a small bowl before stirring in warm water.
- Stir into soup until well blended.
- Lower heat to low, stir in cream or cream and milk, and cook for 10 minutes more without boiling, stirring.
- Serve immediately.