- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups [500 mL] chopped peeled carrots
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] celery slices
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] basil
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] thyme
- 2 cups [500 mL] cheese or meat stuffed tortellini noodles
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] small frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup [60 g] freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped green onion or parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to garnish [optional]
- Over medium heat, heat oil into a heavy-bottom casserole.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and carrots along with celery slices.
- Cook vegetables stirring often for approximately 5 minutes, until just softened.
- Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice; add basil and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- Leave to simmer slowly for approximately 15 minutes, to soften the carrots.
- Add stuffed tortellini noodles; bring back to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and leave to simmer slowly until pasta noodles are tender.
- Add frozen small green peas and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot, each serving sprinkled with freshly chopped green onion or parsley, and more freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.