- 1 [4 to 5-pound / 1.8 to 2.27-kg] chicken, cut into parts
- 2 to 3 carrots, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Transfer chicken pieces into a large casserole; cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil; skim off fat until surface is clear.
- Add carrot and onion pieces, garlic cloves, parsley sprigs, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Leave to simmer for approximately 3 hours.
- Strain soup removing bay leaf and peppercorns but adding back vegetables and chicken pieces, skinned and boned if desired.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Refrigerate soup.
- The fat will rise to the top and congeal, making it easy to remove.
- Remove parsley sprigs and bay leaf; reheat before serving, hot.