- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter or margarine
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] grated carrot
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] quick cooking brown rice
- 1 cup [250 mL] water
- 1 [10-ounce / 284-mL] can chicken broth concentrate
- 1 cup [250 mL] half-and-half
- Over medium heat, melt butter or margarine into a medium casserole.
- Soften together chopped celery, garted carrot and chopped onion.
- Mix in flour; salt and pepper mixture.
- Stir in brown rice, water and chicken broth concentrate.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Stir in half-and-half.
- Reheat soup without boiling, and serve.