- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] oil
- Duck's giblets [except liver], neck and wing tips
- 1 medium peeled onion, sliced
- 1 medium peeled carrot, sliced
- 5 cups [1.25 L] chicken or veal broth
- 1 'bouquet garni'*
- Preheat oil into a large casserole over medium-high heat.
- Brown together duck's giblets, neck and wing tips on all sides, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add and brown onion and carrot slices stirring.
- Pour in chicken or veal broth, then add 'bouquet garni'.
- Half cover casserole, then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower heat and leave broth to simmer slowly for 1 hour, scumming from time to time.
- Strain broth through a fine sieve pouring it into a large bowl; leav broth to cool.
- Refrigerate cooled broth for at least 2 hours.
- Using a large spoon, remove and throw away all hardened fat on top of broth.
- Use immediately or pour into small containers before refrigerating or freezing broth.