- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 large leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 peeled large potato, diced
- 2 cups [500 mL] peeled squash dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] peeled carrot dices
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored then chopped
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] ground mutmeg
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] light cream or milk [optional]
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] dry white wine [optional]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped chives or green onion, to garnish
- Into a heavy large casserole, melt butter over medium heat.
- Soften together chopped leeks and onion stirring often without coloring, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix in potato and squash dices along with carrot dices, chopped apple and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and leave to simmer stirring from time to time until vegetables are soft, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Puree mixture into a blender or a food processor preferably.
- Pour puree into a casserole.
- Stir in nutmeg and, if desired, cream or milk and/or dry white wine.
- Salt, pepper then reheat mixture, without boiling.
- Serve, each serving garnished with freshly chopped chives or green onion.