- 14 ounces [400 g] fresh white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup [35 g] flour
- 3 cups [750 mL] poultry broth
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] fiely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] de Xeres
- 1 cup [250 mL] heavy whipping cream [35%]
- 1 sheet frozen flaky pastry dough, thawed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F [200°C].
- Well clean then grossly chop mushroom heads and stems.
- Melt butter into a large heavy casserole; fry chopped onion stirring over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add crushed garlic and chopped mushrooms; fry for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle mixture all over with flour; well mix then cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in poultry broth, add chopped thyme, then bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat, leave to cool then puree mixture, a little at time, into a blender.
- Pour back into casserole, stir in Xeres and cream then stir until well blended.
- Evenly pour soup into 4 individual bowls, such as onion soup bowls, leaving a good free space on top as you do not want the craust to touch the soup while baking.
- set aside.
- Cut dough into 4 circles a little bigger than the opening of the bowls; top each bowl with dough.
- Fold dough all around the edge; lightly brush dough with beaten egg.
- Bake into preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes, to puff dough crust until golden.
- Serve immediately.