- 3/4 cup [190 mL] water, more if needed
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] finely chopped onion
- 1 medium leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] fresh or frozen green peas [14-ounce / 400-g]
- 1 large head Iceberg lettuce, into fine strips
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 4 cubes chicken broth concentrate
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] pepper
- 1 cup [250 mL] cream [15%]
- Pour water into a large casserole; add chopped onion and leek, then bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh or frozen green peas; leave to simmer for 5 minutes more adding a little more water if needed.
- Add lettuce strips, cover and leave to simmer until lettuce is really soft and remaining vegetables tender.
- Puree mixture into a blender.
- Melt butter into the same casserole
- Well stir in flour.
- Remove from heat before stirring in vegetable puree, milk, chicken broth concentrate cubes, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium sitrring soup, until boiling and just thickened.
- Lower heat and leave soup to simmer slowly stirring often, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream; reheat soup, without boiling, before serving.