An exotic flavored unfamiliar tasting soup.|
This soup made of a mild garlic tasting broth, a mixture of Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, fine carrot and egg strips is the Californian version of Chinese egg soup.
The soup can be prepared ahead of time and kept refrigerated, before adding the cheese, parsley, fine carrot strips and eggs; bring broth to a boil before adding remaining ingredients.
This light soup is perfect served before a goat cheese leek under the skin stuffed chicken served along with pan-fried buttered snow peas and sweet red pepper.
- 3 cups [750 mL] chicken broth
- 3 cups [750 mL] water
- 30 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] finely ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] freshly finely chopped parsley
- 1 small carrot, peeled then cut into short fine strips
- 2 eggs
- Into a medium casserole, mix together chicken broth, water, peeled garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, salt and white pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and leave to simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Remove and throw away thyme sprigs.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic cloves to the bowl of a food processor with a metal blade or a blender.
- Puree until smooth [it is possible that you have to pour in 1/4 cup [60 mL] of broth].
- Stir garlic puree into broth until well blended.
- Bring soup to just a boil.
- Stir in freshly grated Parmesan cheese, finely chopped parsley and carrot strips.
- Leave to simmer for 1 minute, then remove soup from heat.
- Lightly beat eggs using a fork before pouring into soup.
- Stir, still using a fork, until threads shape.
- Check for seasonings; rectify if needed.
- Serve immediately.