- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] vegetable oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] ground caraway
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] ground cardamom
- 5 cups [1.25 L] water
- 1 1/3 cups [330 mL] dried orange lentils, rinsed then drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- Plain Greek yogurt, to taste [to garnish]
- Freshly chopped parsley, to taste [to garnish]
- Into a casserole, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Soften together chopped Spanish onion, garlic and ginger stirring from time to time, for 5 minutes.
- Mix in ground caraway and cardamom; cook for 1 minute more
- Pour in water, add drained dried orange lentils, then bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer stirring every once in a while for 15 to 20, to soften lentils.
- Salt and pepper soup to taste, then pour in fresh lemon juice.
- Serve soup into individual bowls, each serving garnished with a dollop Greek yogurt, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.