- 4 or 5 large onions
- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth [excellent], beef consomme, or water
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] coarse salt
- 2 cups [500 mL] simmering milk
- Pepper, to taste
- Grated Gruyere cheese, to taste
- Garlic croutons, to garnish
- Slice onions into thin even-size slices.
- Heat butter into a large casserole before adding onion slices.
- Stir onion using a wooden spoon, until just golden.
- Evenly sprinkle onion slices with flour.
- Heat over low heat stirring often.
- Pour in chicken broth, beef consomme or water; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bring to just a boil before stirring in simmering milk; pepper soup.
- Check for seasonings; rectify if needed.
- Laddle soup into individual bowls.
- Serve immediately, each serving sprinkled with grated Gruyere cheese and ganished with a few garlic croutons.