- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] pancetta, diced
- 1 medium cleaned leek, sliced
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth
- 3 large potatoes, peeled then cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup [250 mL] dried kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup [250 mL] drained steamed stewed tomatoes, diced
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped Italian parsley
- Over medium heat, melt butter into a large casserole.
- Soften minced garlic stirring until colored.
- Remove roasted garlic from casserole; reserve.
- Into the same casserole, cook pancetta dices stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add leek slices and cook for 7 minutes more.
- Pour in chicken broth then bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add potato cubes; salt and pepper mixture.
- Lower heat to medium and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix in drained dried kidney beans and tomato dices.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes more.
- Just before serving, mix in chopped spinach leaves.
- Serve soup individual bowls, garnished with reserved roasted garlic and chopped Italian parsley.