- 2 1/4 pounds [1 kg] mild onions
- 1/2 cup - 1 tablespoon [100 g] butter
- 1/4 cup [60 g] sugar
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] wine vinegar
- 2 ounces [60 mL] Port wine
- 4 cups [1 L] poultry broth
- Salt and/or pepper, to taste [if needed]
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] whipping [35%] cream
- Peel then thinly slice onions.
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Brown onion rings stirring, until really soft.
- Mix in sugar; leave to caramelize.
- Pour in wine vinegar, Port wine and poultry broth.
- Leave to simmer for approximatelty 30 minutes, then puree using an electric beater or into a blender.
- Taste and season to taste with salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream, just before serving.