An easy soup made of tiny turkey mixture meatballs cooked in a simmering broth filled with green vegetables, perfect to serve as a lunch on-the-go.|
You certainly can add any vegetables that you have on hand such as carrots, broccoli, sweet green pepper, string beans..., as long as they are sliced into thin enough slices, so that all the vegetables will take the same time to cook, 3 minutes.
- 3 green onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds [560 g] ground turkey
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] freshly made breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly minced ginger
- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] freshly ground pepper
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 12 cups [3 L] homemade turkey broth
6 cups [1.5 L] canned chicken broth concentrate mixed with
6 cups [1.5 L] water
- 2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch [1.3-cm] thick slices
- 1 medium zucchini, scraped then half lengthwise, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch [1.3-cm] thick slices
- 1 cup [250 mL] fresh, or thawed frozen, green peas
- Mince 1 of green onions and 1 of garlic cloves.
- Into a medium bowl, well mix together ground turkey, fresh breadcrumbs, beaten egg, minced green onion and garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and freshly ground pepper.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate mixture while preparing broth.
- Crush remaining garlic clove.
- Into a large casserole over medium heat, bring turkey broth or diluted chicken broth, fresh ginger slices, and crushed garlic to a boil.
- Lower heat to low and leave to simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining 2 green onions; set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove ginger slices and crushed garlic from broth; throw away ginger and garlic.
- Add celery, reserved green onion and zucchini slices along with fresh or thawed green peas to broth.
- Bring soup to a slow boil.
- Meanwhile, shape ground turkey mixture into 1 teaspoon [5 mL], full measure, meatballs.
- Drop turkey meatballs one at a time into boiling broth.
- Leave to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through and vegetables are soft yet still a little crunchy, before serving.