- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely choppped
- 1 sweet green pepper, membranes removed and seeded, into small strips
- 2 peeled carrots, sliced
- 1 [14-ounce / 400-g] can black-eyed peas
- 1 cup [250 mL] freshly ground beef
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] chili powder
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] paprika
- 1/4th cabbage, sliced
- 8 ounces [227 g] fresh tomatoes, peeled then chopped
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Warm tortilla chips, corn chips or flour chips, to serve
- Heat vegetable oil into a large casserole over medium heat.
- Soften together chopped onion and garlic stirring often, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add sweet green pepper strips and carrot slices; cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, drain black-eyed peas reserving liquid separately.
- Transfer 2/3rds of drained black-eyed peas into the bowl of a blender or a food processor reserving remaining peas whole.
- Pour reserved liquid into the bowl over black-eyed peas and puree until smooth.
- Add ground beef to vegetables in casserole; cook, stirring to crumble the meat, until well-done.
- Stir in ground cumin, chili powder and paprika.
- Cook soup stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Mix in sliced cabbage and chopped tomatoes before pouring in beef broth and reserved black-eyed puree.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover casserole and leave soup to simmer slowly for approximately 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in reserved whole black-eyed peas, cover casserole and leave to simmer slowly for 5 minutes more.
- Evenly ladle soup into 4 individual soup bowls.
- Serve soup, along with warm tortilla chips, corn chips or flour chips into a serving bowl.