- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth
- 1 cube chicken broth concentrate
1 teaspoon [5 mL] liquid chicken broth concentrate
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] short-grain rice
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] carrot dices
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped celery
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] finely chopped onion
- 1 cup [250 mL] cooked chicken dices
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon slices, to serve [optional]
- Green onion slices or freshly chopped parsley, to serve [optional]
- Into a large casserole, mix together chicken broth, chicken broth concentrate cube or liquid, rice grains, carrot dices and chopped celery and onion.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover casserole and leave soup to simmer slowly for approximately 20 minutes, until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cooked chicken dices.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Melt butter or margarine into a small casserole before stirring in flour.
- Cook mixture stirring for 1 minute, until smooth and just boiling.
- Slowly pour in 2 cups [500 mL] boiling hot chicken broth stirring; cook, still stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Into a small bowl, beat eggs until shiny.
- Beat in lemon juice and thickened chicken broth.
- Slowly stir this mixture into chicken broth in large casserole.
- Reheat soup over low heat without boiling, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Salt and pepper soup.
- Serve soup into individual bowls, each serving topped with a slice of lemon and/or sprinkled with green onion slices or freshly chopped parsley if desired.