- 1 [28-ounce] can undrained whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] vrigin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped [approximately 1/2 cup - 125 mL]
- 2 cups [500 mL] chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, peeled then chopped
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] celery dices
- 4 ounces [113 g] pasta noodles such as tiny shells or elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Into a strainer, drain tomatoes over a small bowl; reserve tomatoes and juice separately.
- Into the bowl of a blender or a food processor, puree drained tomatoes.
- Into a casserole, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Soften together chopped garlic and onion stirring often for approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree.
- Leave to simmer over low heat stirring from time to time, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in reserve drained tomato juice, chicken broth, chopped carrot, celery dices, pasta noodles, 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- Leave soup to simmer until vegetables are soft yet still a little crunchy, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve soup, topped with freshly chopped parsley.