- 6 tablespoons [90 g] butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 pounds [900 g] carrots, peeled then chopped
- 3 3/4 cups [940 mL] vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice and grated rind of 3 oranges
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] heavy cream, to serve
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chiseled chives, to garnish
- Melt butter into a large casserole over medium heat.
- Add choped onions and carrots; fry stirring delicately until softened yet not colored, for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth then add bay leaf and grated orange rind.
- Cover casserole and leave soup to simmer slowly for approximately 20 minutes, until vegetables are done.
- Remove soup from heat; puree mixture into a blender until smooth.
- Wash casserole before pouring in vegetable puree.
- Stir in orange juice; salt and pepper soup.
- Reheat soup before serving into warm individual bowls garnished with a swirl of cream, and freshly chiseled chives.