- 2 tablespoons [30 g] margarine
- 1 1/2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons [22 g] flour
- 3 potatoes, peeled then thinly sliced
- 6 cups [1.5 L] warm chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika, to taste
- Melt margarine into a large casserole over medium heat.
- Add red onion slices; salt, pepper, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add potato slices, warm chicken broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf then puree mixture into a blender.
- Reheat into a clean casserole if needed before serving, sprinkled with paprika.