- 1/4 pound [113 g] bacon, into fine dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped leek
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] carrot dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] celery dices
- 2 cups [500 mL] red onion slices
- 2 cups [500 mL] cleaned fresh mushroom slices
- 2 ounces [60 mL] dry Sherry [optional]
- 12 cups [3 L] chicken broth
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] drained boiled wild rice
- Brown bacon dices into a large casserole until crisp.
- Remove bacon dices from casserole; reserve.
- Brown together chopped leek along with carrot and celery dices into melted fat for 5 minutes.
- Add red onion slices; brown for 5 minutes.
- Add mushroom slices and brown for 1 minute more.
- If desired, pour in dry Sherry before pouring in chicken broth.
- Add bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix in drained boiled wild rice and reserved crisp bacon dices.
- Reheat soup until really hot, remove bouquet garni, and serve.