- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, into fine dices
- 2 peeled small carrots, into fine dices
- 2 peeled medium onions, into fine dices
- 3 peeled potatoes, into fine dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped cauliflower
- 3 peeled cloves garlic, minced
- 1 [14-ounce / 398-ounce] can undrained clams
- 1 [14-ounce / 398-ounce] can undrained salmon, bones removed
- 1 pound [454 g] whelks little salt, or shelled cooked mussels
- 2 sole fillets, into fine dices
- 3 1/2 ounces [100 g] dried code, into fine dices
- 5 1/4 ounces [150 g] frozen shelled and deveined tiny shrimps
- 1 [10 1/2-ounce / 300-mL] can lobster bisque
- 2 cups [500 mL] heavy whipping cream [35%]
- Water or fish stock, as needed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 bunch green onions or fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 knob butter
- Into a large casserole, melt chopped bacon until just golden.
- Add celery, carrot, onion and potato dices along with chopped cauliflower and minced garlic.
- Cook stirring often over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add clams and salmon along with juices, whelks or mussels, sole fillet and dried code dices, and shrimps.
- Mix in lobster bisque and cream along with some water or fish stock, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- Leave chowder to simmer slowly, over low heat, for approximately 1 1/2 hours, until whelks are tender.
- Season chowder with pepper and nutmeg.
- Serve chowder into a tureen, generously garnished with freshly chopped green onions or parsley, topped with butter.