- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] oil
- 4 to 5 pounds [1.8 to 2.27 kg] bone-in veal shanks or beef knees
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 celery stalks with leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 24 cups [6 L] cold water
- Heat oil into a large casserole; brown veal shanks or beef knee bones on all sides.
- Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Skim then lower heat.
- Cover and leave to simmer slowly for at least 2 hours.
- Strain broth.
- Leave to cool, refrigerate then remove excess fat set on top.