- 1 whole roasting duck
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 4 fresh cilantro roots with stems, well rinsed
- 5 slices fresh galangal
- 4 green onions, sliced digonally into 1-inch [2.5-cm] long pieces
- 3/4 pound [340 g] Chinese kale, into 2-inch [5-cm] pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] light golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] ground white pepper
- 1 pound [454 g] fresh rice noodles
- Boiling water, for the noodles
- Crisp fried garlic flakes, to garnish [optional]
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish [optional]
- For the dick broth, cut-off duck's head leaving the neck intact, using a really sharp knife; throw away the head.
- Skin then remove any visible fat from the duck.
- Delicately bone the duck reserving the meat separately.
- Remove and throw away any visible fat from the carcass as well as the tail.
- Break-up the carcass into large pieces; transfer into a large casserole.
- Pour in 8 cups [2 L] water.
- Dellicately crush fresh cilantro roots and stems using the back of a knife.
- Add to casserole along with fresh galangal slices; bring to a boil.
- Using a slotted, skim the top of mixture.
- Leave to simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Through a fine sieve, strain broth into a clean casserole.
- Trow away carcass pieces.
- Slice duck's meat into strips before adding to the broth along with green onion and Chinese kale pieces, crushed garlic, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, light golden brown sugar and ground white pepper.
- Slowly bring soup to a boil.
- Into a clean casserole, boil fresh rice noodles covered with boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
- Wel drain done noodles.
- Evenly transfer drained noodles into individual soup bowls; evenly spoon duck broth with vegetables over noodles.
- Serve immediately, each serving garnished with crisp fried garlic flakes and/or fresh coriander leaves if desired.