- 2 cups [500 mL] fresh, or frozen thawed, crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] dry Sherry or Marsala wine
- 1 teaspoon [3 g] flour
- 4 cups [1 L] whole milk
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] onion juice
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly finely minced garlic
- 1 large pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] chopped sweet red pepper, membranes remove and seeded
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] whipping cream, whipped
- Hint of nutmeg [optional]
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Remove any cartilage or shell pieces from crabmeat; set aside.
- Into the lower part of a double boiler, bring some water to just a boil; melt unsalted butter into upper part of double boiler.
- Pour in dry Sherry or Marsala wine; leave mixture to simmer for approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in flour; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring.
- Whip in milk before mixing in onin juice, minced garlic, ground white pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Salt before mixing in reserved crabmeat, an chopped sweet red pepper.
- Cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream, then reheat soup without boiling, until just hot.
- If desired, for a spicy taste, mix in nutmeg.
- Evenly spoon soup into 6 indvidual bowls; serve, garnished with freshly chopped parsley.