- 4 tablespoons [60 g] unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, diced
- 1 [16-ounce / 454-mL] can pumpkin puree
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, membranes removed and seeded, chopped
- 1 orange sweet pepper, membranes removed and seeded, chopped
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] curry powder
- 1 large pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 large pinch ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup [250 mL] heavy cream
- Chopped chives, to garnish
- Into a large casserole, melt unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Brown together chopped onion and green onion dices for approximately 7 minutes, untl just golden.
- Mix in pumpkin puree and chopped yellow and orange sweet peppers before pouring in chicken broth.
- Season with salt, freshly ground white pepper, curry powder, ground nutmeg and ginger, and bay leaf.
- Bring soup to a boil, lower heat and leave soup to simmer slowly, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, reserve 1 cup [250 mL] of soup and puree remaining soup into a blender or a food processor.
- Pour back into casserole, into reserved soup.
- Stir in cream and reheat soup over medium heat until thickening.
- Serve soup into individual bowls, garnished with chopped chives.