- 4 pounds [1.8 kg] beef bones
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] liquid beef broth concentrate
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, into pieces
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, into pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cold water
- Transfer beef bones into a large casserole and pour in liquid beef broth concentrate.
- Add onion quarters, carrot and celery pieces, bay leaf, chopped parsley and thyme.
- Salt, pepper then pour in enough cold water to completely cover all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer slowly uncovered until reduced by 1/3rd, for approximately 3 hours.
- Strain broth into a large bowl; throw away bones and vegetables.
- Leaveh to cool completely then refrigerate broth until fat hardens on top.
- Remove and throw away fat.
- Reheat broth over low heat, then strain broth once more pouring it into a clean bowl.
- Leave to cool completely, pour into desired size freezing containers then freeze broth until ready to use.