- 4 cups [2 L] chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] cleaned fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons [90 g] butter
- 1/4 cup [35 g] flour
- 1 cup [250 mL] milk
- 1 cup [250 mL] light cream
- 1 [6-ounce / 170-g] can snails [escargots], drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] white wine [optional]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour chicken stock into a casserole.
- Add chopped mushrooms and onion then bring to a boil.
- Leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Into a large enough to hold all the ingredients, melt 4 tablespoons [60 g] of the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour before pouring in milk and cream.
- Cook, stirring sauce constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Salt, pepper then stir mushroom-chicken stock mixture into sauce.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter into a frypan.
- Stirring, fry together drained chopped snails, crushed garlic, and chopped parsley and gren onions, for 1 to 2 minutes only.
- Add to soup, along with white wine if desired.
- Serve immediately.