- 2 1/4 cups [310 mL] navy or Lima beans
- 4 ounces [113 g] salt pork or well-done ham, chopped
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt, or more
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] sage
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] freshly ground black pepper, or more
- 2 cups [500 mL] skim milk
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- Cold water
- Transfer navy or Lima beans into a large casserole; cover beans with cold water.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and leave to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover casserole and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Drain then transfer beans back into casserole.
- Pour in 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] water, chopped salt pork or ham, chopped onion, oregano, salt, ground ginger, sage and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil; leave to simmer for approximaely 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until beans are tender.
- If needed, pour in more water while cooking.
- Stir in skim milk and butter.
- Cook stirring from time to time until soup is really hot, and butter melted.
- If desired, season to taste with more salt and freshly ground black pepper.