- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] olive oil
- 2 thin slices salt pork, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 celery stalk, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed then chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded then sliced
- 1 1/2 cup [375 mL] dry lentils, rinsed then drained
- 6 cups [1.5 L] hot chicken broth, more if needed
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] marjoram
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Into a large casserole, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add salt pork, onion dices, celery dices and chopped garlic.
- Cook over low heat for4 minutes.
- Add tomato slices, salt, pepper generously and cook for 4 minutes more.
- Add drained lentils and pour in hot chicken broth.
- Using a string, secure together fresh parsley sprigs, bay leaf, thyme, freshly chopped basil and marjoram into cotton cheese cloth; add to soup.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer over low heat for 90 minutes, adding more hot chicken broth if needed to keep lentils completely covered at all times.