- 6 cups [1.5 L] cold water
- 2 1/4 pounds [1 kg] 3-inch [7.-cm] each fish cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] black peppercorns
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise then rinsed
- 1 carrot, scraped
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed then halved
- Into a large casserole, mix together cold water, fish cubes, bay leaf and black peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 15 minutes scumming often, as soon as scum appears on top, using a large spoon.
- Add leek halves, scraped carrot and celery stalk halves; lower heat.
- Leave to simmer slowly for 25 minutes.
- Strain broth through a fine sieve, then throw away fish cubes and all vegetables in the sieve.