- 4 slices bacon, into tiny bits
- 1/8 cup [30 mL] cooking oil
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped onion
- 3 cups [750 mL] peeled potato cubes
- 3 cups [750 mL] chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup [250 mL] finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 3 cups [750 mL] creamed corn
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] cornstarch
- 3 cups [750 mL] milk
- Freshly chopped parsley, to taste
- Into a heavy casserole, cook bacon bits until crisp; reserve.
- Soften chopped onion into melted bacon fat and cooking oil.
- Add 2 cups [500 mL] of potato cubes, pour in 2 cups [500 mL] of chicken broth, then add finely chopped carrots; salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat before mixing in creamed corn and chopped celery.
- Cover and leave to simmer for approximaely 20 minutes, to soften all vegetables.
- Into a small bowl, mix together remaining 1 cup [250 mL] chicken broth, flour and cornstarch.
- Pour into soup and cook, sitrring mixture, until thickened.
- Stir in milk; reheat without boiling.
- Pour into individual soup bowls, garnish each serving with reserved crisp bacon bits and freshly chopped parsley, and serve.