- 2 [7 1/2-ounce / 213-g each] cans Sockeye salmon
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 2 cups [500 mL] potato cubes
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped onion
- 1 cup [250 mL] celery slices
- 1 [19-ounce / 540-mL] can tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] celery seeds [optional]
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley or chives, to decorate
- Do not drain, but remove any skin or bones from salmon; reserve in its own liquid.
- Bring water to a boil into a large casserole before adding potato cubes, chopped onion, celery slices, tomatoes with juice and, if desired, celery seeds.
- Cover and leave to simmer slowly to soften all the vegetables, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Mix in salmon along with its liquid.
- Leave to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Into a medium casserole, prepare a white sauce by melting butter before mixing in flour.
- Slowly stir in milk and leave to cook really slowly, stirring, until just thickened.
- Mix into vegetables-salmon mixture.
- Reheat chowder without boiling, until really hot.
- Season chowder with salt and pepper before serving, into individual soup bowls, garnished with freshly chopped parsley or chives.