- 6 cups [1.5 L] cold water
- 2 large well-scraped potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup [250 mL] peled grated carrot
- 1 cup [250 mL] choped celery with leaves
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped peeled beet, peeled turnip and parsley or any other desired leaf vegetable
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 whole clove garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] any desired dried herb or mixed dried herbs
- Pour cold water into a large casserole.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and leave soup to simmer for 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve as a clear vegetable broth, strain mixture through a fine sieve or a cotton cheese cloth to remove all the vegetables.
- To serve as a creamy soup, puree mixture, a little at a time, into a blender.
- If needed, reheat soup into a clean casserole before serving, or leave mixture to cool completely then refrigerate soup.
- Reheat soup until hot just before serving.